As part of the formal assessment for the Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership programme you are required to submit an assignment for each module. Please refer to your Student Handbook for full details of the programme assessment scheme and general information on preparing and submitting assignments.
After completing the module you should be able to:
LO1: Understand the role of operations management in an organisation
LO2: Understand the importance of managing quality in an organisation
LO3: Be able to plan a strategic change in an organisation
LO4: Be able to implement a strategic quality change in an organisation
LO5: Be able to evaluate the outcomes of a strategic quality change in an organisation
You are a co-Director of a small clothing manufacturer in Hong Kong, producing high quality women’s clothing which is sold to independent designer stores in major cities within China. You have a small team of machinists working on exclusive designs which your in-house designer develops for each upcoming season. Currently, quality procedures are informal and what is deemed to be acceptable with regards to quality, left to individual machinists and their team leader to determine. Recently, there has been an increase in the number of returns for faulty products whilst imported clothing from abroad of improving quality has been squeezing your profit margins and challenging your turnover.
Your partner and you have decided that since there are likely to be further factors impacting on the marketplace both now and in the foreseeable future and that given your management training, you should undertake a full environmental analysis and make proposals regarding the organisations future strategic direction. Because this is being written for yourself and your business partner, an informal report is required. You do not need to undertake extensive research into the women’s clothing sector where you live and / or work but do look at the environment generally and consider what the key issues are likely to be.
project management assignment help, business management assignment help, business management assignment, management assignment help services, strategic management assignment help, management accounting assignment, management homework help, marketing management assignment help, human resource assignment help, human resource management assignment help, managerial accounting assignment help, management accounting assignment help, financial management assignment help, it management assignment help, project management homework help, hospitality management assignment help, hr management assignment help, operations management homework help, brand management assignment help, database management homework help
With reference to your hypothetical organisation, explain the importance of effective operations management in achieving organisational objectives and consider, with reference to the literature and the case study, how you can evaluate the successof operations management processes in meeting overall organisational strategic objectives.
Quality can be defined as “a distinctive attribute or characteristic possessed by someone or something” (Oxford English Dictionary online, 2011). With reference to the same case study, explain why quality management is important and how quality is likely to be managed. There is clearly an issue with quality within the organisation, with reference to the literature and the case study consider how you can evaluate the effectiveness of quality management processes in meeting organisational objectives?
Identify an improvement (strategic quality change) that could be made to improve quality performance.
Outline a plan to as to how this improvement can be achieved. You might want to give consideration to:
The organisational objectives that the change would help meet
Current and proposed systems / process / technology
Targets to be achieved
Physical and Human Resources required
The effect of the change to stakeholders and steps needed to be taken to manage this
Evaluation of change
How the effectiveness of the change will be evaluated
How you would monitor the implementation of the change
(Assessment Criteria 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 4.3)
With consideration to change management best practices, explain how you would implement this change and embed a quality culture to ensure continuous improvement.
Explain how you would evaluate the outcomes of this change against likely organizational objectives and prior performance.
Formative Feedback Opportunity
Students will be given the opportunity to receive formative feedback during the 'assignment workshop' sessions for this module.
1. You should write this assignment as aninformal report.
2. You must ensure that the submitted assignment is all your own work and that all sources used are correctly attributed. Penalties apply to assignments which show evidence of academic unfair practice. (See the Student Handbook which is in the Induction Area). Please also refer to the ‘Guide to Unfair Practice in Assessment’ on the module page on SunSpace.
3. You MUST underpin your analysis and evaluation of the key issues with appropriate and wide ranging academic research and ensure this is referenced using the Bournemouth University(BU)Harvard system. The ‘My Study Skills’area contains the following useful resources; Study Skills Guide (containing a BU Harvard Referencing section) and a BU Harvard Referencing Interactive Tutorial. You must use the BU Harvard Referencing method in your assignment.
4. You should use diagrams and tables of figures where appropriate ensuring to reference their source using the BU Harvard Referencing method.
5. You are required to write your assignment within 3,500words in order for your research and summarising skills to be developed, and for effective time management. You are required to ensure that the assignment addresses all of the assessment tasks. In the interests of good academic practice, an assignment submitted with excessive word counts (i.e. more than 10% in excess of the limit) will be returned to you. You may be given a maximum of 48 hours to edit the work to reduce the word count to the permitted maximum. In the event that the submission is still regarded as excessively long then, in line with advice received from Pearson, we will be unable to accept it for marking and you will receive a Refer grade for Non-Submission.
The word count excludes the title page, reference list and appendices. Where assessment questions have been reprinted from the assessment brief these will also be excluded from the word count.ALL other printed words ARE included in the word count. Printed words include those contained within charts and tables.
6. Your assignment should be submitted as a single document. For more information please see the “Guide to Submitting an Assignment” document available on the module page on SunSpace.