Learning outcomes and assessment criteria specific to this assignment:
· Demonstrate a deep and critical understanding of a range of contemporary social theories and perspectives along with their key concepts and arguments.
· Evaluate contemporary social theories in relation to their historical and social contexts.
· Critically apply aspects of contemporary social theories to important social problems and issues of our times.
· Apply an excellent understanding, appreciation and use of a wide range of relevant reading, whilst demonstrating an individual approach to the material, drawing conclusions based on an analytical and critical approach, and presenting written work in a clear and well-structured manner.
Summative Assessment Overview:
This module is assessed by one assignment - an essay of up to 2,500 words (worth 100%).
Choose one title from below:
1. Critically examine Gramsci’s theory of ‘hegemony’.
2. Evaluate Adorno’s account of the ‘culture industry’.
3. How might ‘structuralism’ help us to critically understand society?
4. Critically examine Foucault’s notion of ‘power/knowledge’.
5. Critically discuss the ‘postmodern’ social theories of Lyotard and/or Baudrillard.
6. Evaluate Habermas’s division between ‘system’ and ‘life-world’.
7. Critically examine Bourdieu’s notion of ‘cultural capital’.
8. Critically discuss the ways in which ‘feminist’ sociologists have challenged sociology as a discipline.
9. Examine the relationship between knowledge and power in post-colonial thought.
*** Re-sit essay questions (summer 2020) will be the same as the 1st sitting ***
This is carried out in weekly seminars where students – in groups but also as individuals - are asked to present their understanding of each thinker and the broader sociological context. They receive feedback from the seminar tutor in relation to their level of comprehension along with suggestions for further reading and how to develop their critical and analytical skills.
Seminars and drop-in sessions are also dedicated to writing strategies relating to the essay questions (with feedback from the seminar tutor).
Information for ALL students on submission of this coursework
Additional information about electronic submission
All coursework submitted electronically need to be submitted in accordance with the following guidelines:
SOC5044 Contemporary Social Assignment, social care assignment, social media audit assignment help, social communication assignment, social ecology assignment, social marketing assignment, social security number assignment
Holding a PhD degree in Finance, Dr. John Adams is experienced in assisting students who are in dire need...
55 - Completed Orders
Canada, Toronto I have acquired my degree from Campion College at the University of Regina Occuption/Desi...
52 - Completed Orders
Even since I was a student in Italy I had a passion for languages, in fact I love teaching Italian, and I...
102 - Completed Orders
To work with an organization where I can optimally utilize my knowledge and skills for meeting challenges...
109 - Completed Orders
JOB OBJECTIVE Seeking entry level assignments in Marketing & Business Development with an organization...
202 - Completed Orders
Current work profile Project manager- The Researchers Hub (2nd Jan 2016 to presently working) Researc...
20 - Completed Orders
Sales Assistant, Mito Marina Assigned to the Stationery dept – assisted in merchandising, stock taking...
100 - Completed Orders
Personal Profile Dedicated and highly experienced private chauffeur. High energy, hardworking, punctua...
200 - Completed Orders
I'm Lizzy, full time education specialist in English, Essay Writing, Economics and Maths. Having Assi...
109 - Completed Orders