ME503 - Telecommunication System Engineering
Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Telecommunication System Engineering
Dr Rajan Kadel
Understanding the fundamental systems engineering principles and their applications in telecommunication systems.
Unit Learning Outcomes covered in this assessment
a. Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of system engineering and understand how to make a system more reliable and efficient;
b. Acquire in-depth technical knowledge of signalling, switching and call routing in Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) and population queuing models;
c. Obtain conceptual knowledge and understanding of system reliability, maintainability, costing and design for affordability and human factors;
d. Demonstrate an in-depth understanding and knowledge of Digital Microwave Radio Systems;
e. Design Microwave links, path profile construction and acquire a comprehensive understanding of atmospheric effects on the performance of microwave links ;
27 April 2018, 11:55pm
· All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
· The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
· Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using APA or IEEE referencing style for School of Business and School of Information Technology and Engineering respectively.
· If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to the School's Administration Officer, in Melbourne on Level 6 or in Sydney on Level 7. You must submit this application three working days prior to the due date of the assignment. Further information is available at:
· Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at:http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-Policy-Procedure.For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
The purpose of this assignment is to motivate students to seek to understand the fundamental systems engineering principles and their applications in telecommunication systems. The assignment has two parts: Part A and Part B.
Part A (40 marks)
Question 1: Reliability of a Parallel System (5x2 marks = 10 marks)
Consider the system shown in Figure 1, which is a model of an active redundant generator at a main exchange of Telecommunication Company.
a) Assume that the reliability of each subsystem (or component) i has the reliability of Ri.
Calculate the reliability of the overall system RS as a function of Ri.
b) If the reliability of component i at time t is Ri(t)=e-λit, what is the reliability function of the overall system at time t?
c) Evaluate the mean time to failure (MTTF) of the overall system as a function of λi using the reliability function in part (b).
d) Calculate the failure rate of the overall system with exponential reliability. Hint use binomial distribution.
e) What is the mean time before failure (MTBF) of the above system?
Question 2 Digital Microwave Radio System (4x2.5 Marks = 10 marks)
A point-to-point digital microwave radio system is required by a bank to link the LANs of two of its branches at 2.048 Mbps transmission speed. The handbook delivered by the manufacturer has dimensioned the entire radio terminal with the reliability:
MTBF (mean time between failures): 100,000 hours
MTTR (mean time to repair): 2 hours (equipment only)
The radio path availability was calculated for 𝐵𝐸𝑅=10-8 and found to be 99.999% for the average worst case. The system configuration is shown in Figure 1.
a) Calculate the overall system availability
b) Draw the reliability diagram of the system
c) How would you increase the availability of the system required by the bank?
d) The useful life of the equipment shown in Figure 2 is 15 years. Calculate the reliability of the one radio terminal at the end of it life.
Question 3 High Seed Connectivity (10 marks)
Access to the Internet has arguably become an essential service. However, the quality of the service varies widely in Australia. Multiple governments had promised (and begun to deliver) a high-speed connectivity throughout Australia via the NBN. Discuss and briefly explain the NBN technology. The discussion must be based on research findings, e.g. reference must be made of at least two journals.
Question 4 Functions of a Telecommunication Network (5 + 5 = 10 marks)
The functions of a telecommunication network, whether it is wired or wireless, are specified by the size of its coverage area and traffic carrying capacity. On the other hand, the performance of the network is specified by its quality of service.
a) What limits the size of the coverage area of a telephone exchange?
b) What limits the traffic carrying capacity of a telephone exchange?
Marking Rubric for Telecommunications Problems
Holding a PhD degree in Finance, Dr. John Adams is experienced in assisting students who are in dire need...
55 - Completed Orders
Canada, Toronto I have acquired my degree from Campion College at the University of Regina Occuption/Desi...
52 - Completed Orders
Even since I was a student in Italy I had a passion for languages, in fact I love teaching Italian, and I...
102 - Completed Orders
To work with an organization where I can optimally utilize my knowledge and skills for meeting challenges...
109 - Completed Orders
JOB OBJECTIVE Seeking entry level assignments in Marketing & Business Development with an organization...
202 - Completed Orders
Current work profile Project manager- The Researchers Hub (2nd Jan 2016 to presently working) Researc...
20 - Completed Orders
Sales Assistant, Mito Marina Assigned to the Stationery dept – assisted in merchandising, stock taking...
100 - Completed Orders
Personal Profile Dedicated and highly experienced private chauffeur. High energy, hardworking, punctua...
200 - Completed Orders
I'm Lizzy, full time education specialist in English, Essay Writing, Economics and Maths. Having Assi...
109 - Completed Orders