1. You have been hired by Bank of Sydney as a financial analyst. One of your first job assignments is to analyse the present financial condition of Bradley Stores, Pty Ltd. You are provided with the following 2016 balance sheet and income statement information for Bradley Stores. In addition, you are told that Bradley Stores has 10,000,000 ordinary shares outstanding, currently trading at $9 per share, and has made annual purchases of $210,000,000.
Your assignment calls for you to calculate certain financial ratios and to compare these calculated ratios with the industry average ratios that are provided. You are also told to base your analysis on five categories of ratios: (a) liquidity ratios, (b) activity ratios, (c) debt ratios, (d) profitability ratios, and (e) market ratios.
Balance Sheet (in 000s)
Cash $ 5,000 Accounts payable $ 15,000
Accounts receivable 20,000 Notes payable 20,000
Inventory 40,000 Total current liabilities $ 35,000
Total current assets $ 65,000 Long-term debt 100,000
Net fixed assets 135,000 Shareholders’ equity 65,000
Total assets $200,000 Total liabilities and equity $200,000
Income Statement (in 000s)
Net sales (all credit) $300,000
Less cost of goods sold 250,000
Earnings before interest and taxes $ 50,000
Less interest 40,000
Earnings before taxes $ 10,000
Less taxes (40%) 4,000
Net income $ 6,000
Industry Averages for Key Ratios:
Net profit margin 6.4%
Average collection period (365 days) 30 days
Debt ratio 50%
P/E ratio 23
Inventory turnover ratio 12.0
Average payment period (365 days) 20 days
Times interest earned ratio 8.5
Total asset turnover 1.4
Current ratio 1.5
Assets-to-equity ratio 2.0
Quick ratio 1.25
Fixed asset turnover ratio 1.8
Use the following guidelines to complete this job assignment. First, identify which ratios you need to use to evaluate Bradley Stores in terms of its (a) liquidity position, (b) business activity, (c) debt position, (d) profitability, and (e) market comparability. Next, calculate these ratios. Finally, compare these ratios to the industry average ratios provided in the problem and answer the following questions.
a. Based on the provided industry average information, discuss Bradley Stores’ liquidity position. Discuss specific areas in which Bradley compares positively and negatively with the overall industry.
b. Based on the provided industry average information, what do Bradley Stores’ activity ratios tell you? Discuss specific areas in which Bradley compares positively and negatively with the overall industry.
c. Based on the provided industry average information, discuss Bradley Stores’ debt position. Discuss specific areas in which Bradley compares positively and negatively with the overall industry.
d. Based on the provided industry average information, discuss Bradley Stores’ profitability position. As part of this investigation of company profitability, include a DuPont analysis. Discuss specific areas in which Bradley compares positively and negatively with the overall industry.
e. Based on the provided industry average information, how is Bradley Stores viewed in the marketplace? Discuss specific areas in which Bradley compares positively and negatively with the overall industry.
f. Overall, what are Bradley’s strong and weak points? Knowing that your boss will approve new loans only to companies in a better-than-average financial position, what is your final recommendation (approval or denial of loan)?
2. On your first day as an intern at Tri-Star Management Pty Ltd the CEO asks you to analyse the following information pertaining to two ordinary share investments, Tech.com and Sam’s Grocery. You are told that a one-year Treasury note will have a rate of return of 5% over the next year. Also, information from an investment advisory service lists the current beta for Tech.com as 1.68 and for Sam’s Grocery as 0.52. You are provided a series of questions to guide your analysis.
Estimated Rate of Return
Economy Probability Tech.com Sam’s Grocery ASX 200
Recession 30% –20% 5% – 4%
Average 20% 15% 6% 11%
Expansion 35% 30% 8% 17%
Boom 15% 50% 10% 27%
1. Using the probabilistic approach, calculate the expected rate of return for Tech.com, Sam’s Grocery, and the ASX 200 Index.
2. Calculate the standard deviations of the estimated rates of return for Tech.com, Sam’s Grocery, and the ASX 200 Index.
3. Which is a better measure of risk for the ordinary share of Tech.com and Sam’s Grocery – the standard deviation you calculated in Question 2 or the beta?
4. Based on the beta provided, what is the expected rate of return for Tech.com and Sam’s Grocery for the next year?
5. If you form a two-share portfolio by investing $30,000 in Tech.com and $70,000 in Sam’s Grocery, what is the portfolio beta and expected rate of return?
6. If you form a two-share portfolio by investing $70,000 in Tech.com and $30,000 in Sam’s Grocery, what is the portfolio beta and expected rate of return?
7. Which of these two-share portfolios do you prefer? Why?
3. Contact Manufacturing Ltd is considering two alternative investment proposals. The first proposal calls for a major renovation of the company’s manufacturing facility. The second involves replacing just a few obsolete pieces of equipment in the facility. The company will choose one project or the other this year, but it will not do both. The cash flows associated with each project appear below and the firm discounts project cash flows at 15%.
Year Renovate Replace
0 –$9,000,000 –$2,400,000
1 3,000,000 2,000,000
2 3,000,000 800,000
3 3,000,000 200,000
4 3,000,000 200,000
5 3,000,000 200,000
1. Calculate the payback period of each project and based on this criterion, indicate which project you would recommend for acceptance.
2. Calculate the net present value (NPV) of each project and based on this criterion, indicate which project you would recommend for acceptance.
3. Calculate the internal rate of return (IRR) of each project and based on this criterion, indicate which project you would recommend for acceptance.
4. Calculate the profitability index (PI) of each project and based on this criterion, indicate which project you would recommend for acceptance.
5. Overall, you should find conflicting recommendations based on the various criteria. Why is this occurring?
6. Chart the NPVprofiles of these projects. Label the intersection points on the x- and y-axes and the crossover point.
7. Based on this NPVprofile analysis and assuming the WACC is 15%, which project would you recommended for acceptance? Why?
8. Based on this NPVprofile analysis and assuming the WACC is 25%, which project is recommended? Why?
9. Discuss the important elements to consider when deciding between these two projects.
4. Higher and Higher Constructions Pty Ltd in Melbourne is considering some new equipment. This new equipment will generate sales revenues but it will not replace any existing equipment. The equipment has a 3-year life for depreciation purposes under Australian company tax regulations would be fully depreciated by the prime cost method over those years. It is planned to close down the project at the end of Year 3. The company will need to increase its net operating working capital at the beginning of the project but no further increases are foreseen. Revenues and other operating costs are expected to be constant over the project's life.
Required return for projects of this risk level 12.0%
New investment in fixed capital $160,000
Additions to inventories at outset of project $32,000
Additions to trade accounts receivable at outset of project $24,000
Additions to trade accounts payable at outset of project $26,000
Annual additions to sales revenue $154,000
Annual additions to cash operating costs $64,000
Expected pre-tax salvage value $10,000
(a) What is the project's NPV? (7 marks)
(b) What is an estimate of the project’s IRR? (1 marks)
(c) With appropriate justification, briefly explain whether Better Media should undertake the project or not (2 marks)
Holding a PhD degree in Finance, Dr. John Adams is experienced in assisting students who are in dire need...
55 - Completed Orders
Canada, Toronto I have acquired my degree from Campion College at the University of Regina Occuption/Desi...
52 - Completed Orders
Even since I was a student in Italy I had a passion for languages, in fact I love teaching Italian, and I...
102 - Completed Orders
To work with an organization where I can optimally utilize my knowledge and skills for meeting challenges...
109 - Completed Orders
JOB OBJECTIVE Seeking entry level assignments in Marketing & Business Development with an organization...
202 - Completed Orders
Current work profile Project manager- The Researchers Hub (2nd Jan 2016 to presently working) Researc...
20 - Completed Orders
Sales Assistant, Mito Marina Assigned to the Stationery dept – assisted in merchandising, stock taking...
100 - Completed Orders