Assessment 2: Reflection on leadership: TIP SHEET
Word count = 1000 words
· This means 1000 words +/- 10% so between approximately 900-1110 words
· I have provided a guide to word counts in each section – this is a guide only
· References and reference list are NOT included in the word count
Your first step is to think of an episode on placement where you witnessed/experienced good or poor leadership or mentorship from a RN
· Episode must involve an RN – WHY? This is not saying you can’t see good/poor leadership or mentorship from an EN or AIN – but as you are about to graduate as a RN you need to focus on an RN
· Placement – this can be any placement you have been on during your nursing degree
o NB: This is NOT to come from your work experiences – WHY? We are looking for your experiences as a student RN
· Leadership – we have discussed leadership a lot in this subject so you should be aware what this encompasses
· Mentorship – this is your experiences being mentored – i.e.: buddied with a RN
· Good or poor experiences – you can use either – often we learn more from our poor experiences
· Think of an episode where you experienced good leadership or mentorship – and what made it good – how this made you feel – you will unpack this using the reflective cycle with the aim to take the best elements – make sure they are grounded in evidence – and incorporate to your own practice
· OR think of an episode where you experienced poor leadership or mentorship – and what made it bad – how this made you feel – you will unpack this using the reflective cycle with the aim to take the best elements – make sure they are grounded in evidence – and incorporate to your own practice
Now review Gibbs’ Reflective Cycle as these are the headings that you will use in this assessment – there is a copy in assessment resources
1. Description (approximately 250 words) 10 marks
· Thinking of the episode you have chosen - describe this and tell us what happened.
· This sets the scene for the rest of the assessment – so take your time to choose an appropriate episode
· This is a narrative – to provide an overview of what happened
· Be concise – don’t include superfluous information e.g. it isn’t a step-by-step guide to everything that happened on a shift
· Not academic language – but please still use good grammar and spelling
· You can use the first person – we want to see how you were involved
· Make sure you provide specific detail – don’t just provide generic details e.g. don’t just say the RN showed good mentorship by providing good communication – how did they do this? This is what you want to take away and learn from the encounter
· NB: Don’t identify the RN or the facility this occurred at – this would be a reach of confidentiality
2. Feelings(approximately 100 words) 10 marks
· Written in the first person
· What were you thinking and feeling during this episode
· Use descriptive and honest language – again this is not academic language
· What impact did this have on you
· Relate the feelings to what happened in the episode
e.g. “I felt a bit overwhelmed when the RN asked me to manage the situation but at the end of it I felt really proud of myself for stepping up”
OR “I felt really upset and disheartened when the RN made fun of my first attempt at a IMI”
3. Evaluation (approximately100 words) 10 marks
· Based on what you have described above – in the narrative and your feelings section -what were the positive or negative aspects you can identify in the episode
· This part is not analytical – you are making your own personal judgements about what you thought was good or poor
· This can be written in the first person
4. Analysis (approximately 250 words) 15marks
· What sense can you make of the situation?
· This is building on your evaluation - reconsider the things that were good or poor
· The aim is to explain the causes of things that happened – it asks the question why? E.g. so if mentoring was poor – why might that be the case? If you are saying you saw good leadership relate to the evidence on this
· This part is analytical – it does not describe – so this is NOT in the first person
· Use academic writing in this section
· Here you will go to the literature to back up your argument – so articles on leadership or mentoring in nursing will help
· Use in-text referencing in this section
· Try and focus on the things that you think are the most important
· It is better to write more and a couple of things than a little bit about a lot – you will be able to demonstrated your understanding more if you focus on a couple of points
5. Conclusions (100 words) 10 marks
· A summary of what you have learnt from this episode
· This should be backed up with evidence
· You can write this in the first person – but evidence still needs to be referenced
6. Action Plan (100-200 words) 15 marks
· As a result of this episode what specific actions will you now take in your future nursing practice
· Choose 2 actions – make sure these are specific – number these as 1 and 2
· A specific action is something like “I will ensure that I provide students with constructive and timely feedback” as opposed to “I will give feedback”
· For each provide a rationale – this is the why you are doing it – so this needs to be backed up with evidence
Reference list5 marks
· How many references? Minimum of 5 references
· You are discussing nursing mentoring and leadership – so aim to use nursing journals
· As always – peer reviewed journals are favoured
· Harvard referencing at a 3rd year level
Academic literacy 5 marks
Writing at a 3rd year level expected
Any questions?: Please post to Discussion Board
Holding a PhD degree in Finance, Dr. John Adams is experienced in assisting students who are in dire need...
55 - Completed Orders
Canada, Toronto I have acquired my degree from Campion College at the University of Regina Occuption/Desi...
52 - Completed Orders
Even since I was a student in Italy I had a passion for languages, in fact I love teaching Italian, and I...
102 - Completed Orders
To work with an organization where I can optimally utilize my knowledge and skills for meeting challenges...
109 - Completed Orders
JOB OBJECTIVE Seeking entry level assignments in Marketing & Business Development with an organization...
202 - Completed Orders
Current work profile Project manager- The Researchers Hub (2nd Jan 2016 to presently working) Researc...
20 - Completed Orders
Sales Assistant, Mito Marina Assigned to the Stationery dept – assisted in merchandising, stock taking...
100 - Completed Orders
Personal Profile Dedicated and highly experienced private chauffeur. High energy, hardworking, punctua...
200 - Completed Orders
I'm Lizzy, full time education specialist in English, Essay Writing, Economics and Maths. Having Assi...
109 - Completed Orders